Download and install a digital certificate on your iPhone it is an easier process than it seems, and knowing all the steps is important because it is an official document.
Steps to download and install the natural person digital certificate on your iPhone
The first thing to keep in mind is that the digital certificate can be requested in two ways:
- Through the electronic ID.
- Through personal accreditation in an office, using the software certificate.
Each of them has its own steps and depending on the case, one may be easier than the other. All its details are mentioned below:
Request with the electronic ID
This is the way most used by users, because it is considered the easiest to carry out, however, so that there is no problem during the process, it is important that your electronic ID be active, and have a password of access.
In case you don't have it, you can do it directly at a National Police station, and use one of their machines. Verify that it has an electronic ID reader so that you can carry out the procedure.
Now, when you already have the electronic ID active and an established password, it is time to start with all the steps:
- The first thing you should do is install the software indicated by the National Currency and Stamp Factory of the Government of Spain. It is recommended that for this, you use Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome.
- Verify that you have completed all the technical requirements they request.
- The next thing you should do is enter the Electronic Headquarters of the Royal Mint National Coin and Stamp Factory, where you must apply for the certificate.
- Then the electronic DNI software will appear on the screen, and the next thing you should do is enter your password.
- Continue completing all the personal information requested, including email. This is one of the most important aspects, because a security code will be sent.
- Wait a few minutes or up to an hour until you receive an email with the security code.
- After receiving the security code, the next thing you should do is enter the account again. FNMT headquarters, but this time to download the certificate, completing the information requested on the screen.
- Done, the certificate is already installed in the browser of your choice. Later, we leave you the explanation so that you can extract the digital certificate and install it on your iPhone.
Through the accreditation of physical identification
Remember that, in case you do not have the electronic DNI, this is the only way in which you can request the digital certificate.
- Start by installing the software indicated by the FNMT at its Electronic Office. Once you are sure that you meet all the requirements, you should use the web browser of your choice.
- Complete all the information on the natural person certificate request form, including the email, where they will send you a security code.
- The next thing you should do is prove your identity, using the security code that was sent to your email. You must visit one of the 2.400 offices that are available throughout Spain. It is recommended that you go to the one closest to your residence.
- Remember that you must go to the office with the application code, ID, passport or driver's license.
- After approximately one hour, you can now download and install the digital certificate in your browser, from the FNMT page.
How to export the digital certificate to install it on the iPhone?
Once you have the digital certificate downloaded and installed in your browser, the next step is to export it to your iPhone, and this is very simple, just make sure you do the following:
- Keep in mind that the digital certificate will be exported directly from the browser, and Mozilla Firefox is one of the favorites for this process.
- Enter Firefox, and look for the option "Preferences.
- Then you must select »See certificates».
- And in »Your certificates», you must be able to identify the FNMT certificate at the top.
- Click where your name appears, and now select »make copy».
- The next step is to change the name of the PKCS12 file to whatever you want. It is important that, at the end of the name, you add the extension ".p12".
- Firefox will prompt you to set a security key for the certificate. And, this one must be written every time you want to open the file on any other device.
- Done, you can now export the digital certificate to your iPhone or iPad.
How to install the digital certificate on the iPhone or iPad?
Very well, the digital certificate is downloaded and exported to your device, now it's time to install it, and for this you must do the following:
- Keep in mind that iPhone and iPadOS so far only support the following formats: .cer, .crt, .der, X.509 certificates with RSA keys, .pfx, and, .p12.
- For this reason, it is important that the digital certificate is in pfx or p12 format, at least.
- The next thing you should do is send the file to the email with the .p12 extension at the end. Make sure the email is open on the device.
- Then you need to open the file from the email.
- When you try to download and open it, the operating system will immediately notify you that you are trying to install a "profile". You must press on "Accept", and the notification will be closed.
- Enter the »Settings» of the device, once there, look for the option "General", and then »Profiles».
- En »Profiles» there is the certificate, you must open it and enter the security key to unlock it.
- Done, you already have the digital certificate on your device, be it iPhone or iPad.
What is the digital certificate?
The first thing you should know is the meaning of digital certificate. This is a document that is carried out digitally, and that is prepared by the National Currency and Stamp Factory of the Government of Spain.
The objective is to link a user, with his verification data, signature and confirm his true identity within the network, or, in the different places where his identification is requested.
It is a certificate that includes different basic data of a person, but which, at the same time, also allows them to enter any electronic office, digital signature, or carry out different procedures virtually. Until now, four types of certificates are known, and they are the following:
- Digital certificate of natural person: It is the most used, and which we will mention today. This is because it is in charge of identifying a person with all their data.
- Digital certificate for a legal person.
- Digital certificate for Sole or Solitary Administrator.
- Digital certificate for Entity without Legal Personality.
Digital certificate functions
The functions of the digital certificate are very important to carry out different procedures, and even for some queries. For this reason, they are mentioned below:
- Presentation and settlement of taxes.
- Compliance with population and housing census data.
- Presentation of appeals and claims.
- Consultation of traffic fines.
- Consultation and registration in the municipal register.
- Reported actions.
- Consultation and procedures for the application for subsidies.
- Polling station allocation query.
- Electronic signature of documents and official forms.