If you want to create a virtual machine in Linux, the process is very simple, you just have to use Virtualbox. To know all the steps we leave you all the information about Virtualbox Guest Additions.
How to install Virtualbox Guest Additions?
Virtualbox is a Software that allows you to create different virtual machines in any operating system, however, there is a problem, and that is that only one operating system appears in a square window with large icons.
To fix that problem, all you have to do is iInstall the Guest Additions on the virtual machine and ready. Installing them is very simple, but it is important that you follow all the steps that we leave you below, to avoid any error or failure during the process.
Also, you need to make sure you do a little trick so that the virtual machine can read the ISO, just as needed.
The best thing about Virtualbox Guest Additions is that they are available for all operating systems. For this reason, we leave you the steps of each of the alternatives.
Steps to Install Virtualbox Guest Additions on Linux
- The first step that you must carry out is to install any virtual machine that you want to use.
- The next thing is to verify that the latest software packages you need are installed. For this, you must open the terminal, and write the commands:
-sudo apt update
-sudo apt upgrade
-sudo apt install build-essential dkms linux-headers-$(uname-r)
- Next, you must install the compatibility packages, by typing: sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-utils virtualbox-guest-x11 virtualbox-guest-dkms
- Now, you have to reboot your device, and then start the virtual machine.
- Locate the option »Devices/Insert Guest Additions CD Image».
- In case you do not have it downloaded, it will give you an error, but you have the possibility to download it, and return to the previous step.
- When the window appears where they ask you if you want to download the tools, there is a link, you must copy it.
- The next step is to paste the link in the Web browser of your choice, it is recommended to use Firefox, and press »Enter». Immediately, the download of the ISO should begin.
- The trick is to go to the menu Machine / Configuration of the virtual machine.
- Look for the option of »Storage/vacuum'', this is the DVD drive.
- On the right side, the option to »Select virtual optical disk file», and you must click on it.
- Now, choose the ISO you downloaded earlier, and the autorun of the CD makes it start automatically.
- The next step is to click on "Execute". Make sure the process is finished, and you already have the option to enlarge it until it fills the entire screen.
- Another option is to look for the option »Machine Settings/General/Advanced», and what you should do is activate "Drag and drop" so you can share the files, etc.
How to install Guest Additions on Windows?
The first step in installing the Guest Additions on Windows is to run the virtual machine. Once you make sure of this you must do the following:
- You should look for the machine options menu that appears as »Devices menu», and then select »Insert Guest Additions CD Image».
- This creates a virtual drive with the ISO, and there you can find all the drivers available within the application.
- A message should appear on your screen notifying that there is a CD inside the equipment, however, this depends on the type of configuration of your device.
- Then, you must select the option »Run VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe.»
- In case no window appears on the screen, you should look in the folder "My team", double click on the virtual drive created with Virtualbox.
- The next thing you should do is select the folder where you want the Guest Additions to be installed, one option is to leave the one that the system has as default.
- Done, click »Next», and press the option »Install» for the installation to begin.
- You must restart the virtual machine for it to work properly.
Steps to install Guest Additions on macOS
The process is very similar to the one mentioned above with Windows, the first step is to run the virtual machine of the version of macOS where you want them to be installed.
Note that depending on the version of macOS you have, the Guest Additions installation box opens automatically. In case this does not happen, what you should do on the desktop is double-click the Virtualbox icon, and thus open the installation dialog box.
Function of Virtualbox Guest Additions
First you should know what are Guest Additions? They are a set of drivers for all devices and apps, which are intended to optimize operating systems. In this way, better operation is guaranteed, and performance is increased.
The Guest Additions of a Virtualbox are installed inside the virtual machine, and are very important because different activities can be carried out with them, such as the following:
- Shared folders: This way you have the option of exchanging the files from the host operating system to the guest operating system.
- video drivers: They are customized so that all the resolution that the virtual machine offers you can be enjoyed without problems.
- Shared clipboard: It allows all users to copy and paste text between the virtual machine and the host operating system.
- Time Zone Synchronization: The time zone is one of the problems that frequently occurs in virtual machines, and in this way, it can be solved.
- Access the USB ports of the host machine: To use the USB ports of the virtual machine it is important that they have all the access offered by the Virtualbox Guest Additions.
- You can use the mouse pointer: When you install all the components in a device you must make sure that they work correctly in the virtual system, and with this option you can use the mouse pointer without problems.
- Fullscreen: Another of the options that they offer you is that you have the possibility of working in individual windows within the desktop of the virtual machine